Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Meal Idea: Orzo Stuffed Tomatoes



So, just the other night I prepared a great dish for the family that involved some orzo stuffed tomatoes. I served it alongside a shrimp ceasar salad, yet this is supposed to be a vegetarian post, so please do feel free to leave off the shrimp(psst..I made the ceasar dressing myself..this was the first time making a creamy dressing, and I was so excited...the hubby loved it! I will be sure to share that recipe with you all the next time I make it!) Ok, so back to the orzo.



After cooking the orzo in salted water, I seasoned it with the following ingredients:

Garlic powder
Pesto
Marinara
Blackened sun dried tomatoes, julienne cut(sear tomatoes in some olive oil until blackened and crisp)
Olive oil
Dash of salt
Crushed basil
Feta Cheese
Red wine

I must say that the red wine really topped it off. It brought out ALL of the flavors and the sweetness from the tomatoes. This is definitely a dish that I will be making again! You will want to cut the tops and the bottoms slightly off some large steak tomatoes. Rub them all over w/ a bit of olive oil and bake them in the oven on 350 degrees & for a few minutes I put it under the broiler to get a mice "roasted" effect along the edges of the tomatoes(be sure that you so not leave it under the broiler or baking for too long as your tomatoes could burst)! Then stuff with your seasoned orzo. This meal is truly delish and is vegetarian friendly also, but you can easily add some roasted chicken breast to the orzo to make it more filling. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment